Summer is the best time of the year because it’s boating season! As we enter the rest of the summer and temperatures continue to rise, nothing sounds more tempting than a fun, refreshing boat ride with your family and friends. Before you can start having fun, you must first complete some general maintenance on your boat. Hopefully, your boat has been sitting under a boat lift cover to make things easier for you when returning from the off-season, but if not, no worries!
We have provided a checklist below to ensure that you are prepared to have a fun and safe summer out on the water.
- Start by giving your boat a good wash
- Exterior/ Interior
- Add a fresh coat of wax to freshen and brighten things up
- Check your belts and cables
- Low temperatures through the winter season could cause your belts and cables to crack or turn brittle
- Black residue around the pulley is a sign that your belt is worn out and may need to be replaced
- Check your fluid levels
- Check all fuel levels:
- Power steering
- Engine oil
- Check all fuel levels:
- Check your electric system
- Be sure to remove corroded terminals
- Use a brush to clean the terminals and cable ends
- Check all electrical connections for corrosion
- Charge your battery
- Check your hulls and props
- Conduct a thorough inspection of your boat propellers
- Check for damaged props
- Check the hull for cracks
- Clean the deck and hull
Once your boat is ready to go, you’ll want to check one last, and possibly the most important thing:
- Inspect your personal safety gear
- Check for live-saving gear such as life jackets
- Make sure that there are enough for all boat occupants and that they are in good condition
- Make sure your fire extinguishers are all up to date
Get your boat inspected or examined by a professional to ensure that you follow all guidelines and protocols.
Want to make your summer boat prep easier?
Summer is supposed to be a fun and relaxing time, so the last thing you want is to be weighed down by any damages or repairs on your boat caused during the off-season. If you are looking for a way to minimize the amount of boat maintenance you have to do, then Waterway Boat Lift Covers are the solution for you.
Our boat lift covers provide all-around protection for your boat by keeping it out of the sun, protecting it from strong winds or storms, and preventing any exterior or interior damage. During the off-season, you will be able to relax knowing that your boat is being taken care of through nature’s seasonal elements, whether it be wind, rain, dust, or pollen.
At the end of a fun day out on the water with your family or friends, you will be able to park your boat back under your Waterway Cover, where it will remain safe and sound until your next summer adventure.
If you don’t have a cover and are interested in how it can make your summer prep easier, give us a call at (941)505-0237 or request a quote on our website.